Translate

Sunday, September 11, 2011

10 years and I haven't forgotten!

Yes, I remember exactly where I was when I heard that the first plane had hit the twin towers...Joann Fabrics, my favorite hang out on a week day after the girls were off to school. One of the cashiers was telling everyone that a plane had just hit the WTC! No one at that time knew that it was a terrorist attack. But, within minutes, we all knew!

At the time, we lived 45 minutes north of Washington, D.C. - a primary target also. I called my husband and oldest daughter, but couldn't reach the youngest, who was in class at the local high school. Whatever I was purchasing that day, was no longer of importance to me. My "mother" protective mode was activated. I couldn't get to the high school fast enough to make sure our youngest daughter was okay. Little did I know that she was in the office trying to reach me. I barreled into the school with only one thought in mind, find my daughter and get her out of there and home with me.

We were glued to the television for hours, days, and weeks! Shocked and stunned by what had happened to our country. Today, we remember those who lost their lives, the loved ones they left behind, those that rescued and attempted rescues, and those that lost their lives trying to save others. The men and women that fight for our freedom every day. God Bless you all!



Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?
Were you in the yard with your wife and childrenOr working on some stage in L.A.?

Did you stand there in shock at the sight of that black smokeRisin' against that blue sky?

Did you shout out in anger, in fear for your neighborOr did you just sit down and cry?

Did you weep for the children who lost their dear loved ones

and pray for the ones who don't know?

Did you rejoice for the people who walked from the rubble

and sob for the ones left below?

Did you burst out in pride for the red, white, and blue

and the heroes who died just doin' what they do?

Did you look up to heaven for some kind of answer

and look at yourself and what really matters?

I'm just a singer of simple song

I'm not a real political man

I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you

The difference in Iraq and Iran

But I know Jesus and I talk to God

And I remember this from when I was young

Faith, hope and love are some good things he gave us

And the greatest is love.

1 comment:

LISA said...

Thank You for this tribute Vicki...

Both of my Uncles worked at the World Trade Centers, both were survivors, and as a family we are forever grateful to still have them with us. Please pray for my Uncle Ray, who is now permanently disabled as a result of the tragedy that day. .
I lost a friend and classmate David Halderman. He was a Lieutenant Firefighter from Squad 18. He had followed in his daddy's footsteps. I grew up in a firefighter town, and will remember David fondly. I sent his mom a little prayer this morning as she had also lost her husband, Davids daddy, the month before she lost David.
I also lost out dear neighbor Charlie Mills. Mr Mills lived a cross the street from us where I grew up. Charlie had coached both of my brothers in Soccer for the Brentwood Soccer League. And being a neighbor, I remember my brothers thinking they were special cause the coach lived across the street. But Charlie made them feel special, because he thought all kids had talent and they were all special. He saw the best in everybody. We all loved him!
One of my brothers teammates, Fernando, told us about a story years ago, when Charlie coached my brothers team. To Read it ( http://www.newsday.com/911-anniversary/memories-of-charles-mills-1.2982091) This was Charlie Mills...Our community Policeman, killed, trying to rescue those in the tragedy that day, after leaving his office on the 87th floor. He was Bureau Chief of New York State Office of Tax Enforcement - Petroleum, Alcohol and Tobacco Bureau, New York. Because of Charlie and the other hero's that day, about 25,000 lives were spared...His family knew he would be one of the last ones out because he was helping others.....That was Charlie..
Gosh, I miss him...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails