Translate

Friday, January 18, 2013

"Reason"...my one word for 2013

This week I have been working on  a project using my one word for 2013..."reason".  Over at My Sketch World, Lucy has challenged forum members to choose one word of focus for the entire year.  A word to reflect on and be a part of all that we do on a daily basis.  When I started thinking about this, the word "reason" popped into my head.  Sounded like a pretty good word and covered all the bases...my reason for doing something, my reason for not doing something, the reason being, and yada, yada, yada.  When I looked up the definition, it was definite!  This was my one word for 2013...

Definition of REASON
1
a : a statement offered in explanation or justification
b : a rational ground or motive
c : a sufficient ground of explanation or of logical defense; something (as a principle or law) that supports a conclusion or explains a fact
d : the thing that makes some fact intelligible
2
: the power of comprehending, inferring, or thinking especially in orderly rational ways 
b : the sum of the intellectual powers
3
archaic : treatment that affords satisfaction
in reason
within reason
within reasonable limits
with reason
with good cause

Sounds like a great word, right?  

We are also doing a Project 12 at My Sketch World.  One layout a month, with or without photos, for the entire year.  Lucy is providing two different sketches that are optional too. Well, that worked with my one word and the art journal that I decided I was going to create in this new year! 

So, without further adieu, here is the beginning of my Project 12 Art Journal, titled "Reason".

Since I am still working on cover ideas, my January journal page will be the first.  I have chosen to use one of the sketches that Lucy has provided for my inspiration. 

Lucy's sketches are also available in an e-book for purchase.  Visit her blog for details.


I had a general idea of what I wanted on the page...a wall leading up to the sky, since the sky's the limit, right?  Oh, and a cloud with a silver lining, naturally!

I started with some heavy watercolor paper and gesso.  Gotta love that stuff!  Great for a base layer on just about anything.  You can take a great class all about gesso at Scrapbook News and Review Art Studio with Katie Koch.  Believe me, this class will change the way you think about and play with gesso.  Then, I stamped a random design with a diamond shaped stamp...you know, like diamonds in the sky?  After the gesso was dry, I started inking and blending with my distress inks.

 
 The obsession begins! When I started layering, I couldn't stop. I inked, layered an old dictionary page and added some tissue tape across the bottom. A little more gesso, ink, stamping and another book page with the definition of reason on it.

Then, my new love was added...texture gel with glass beads.  I have been participating in Nathalie Kalbach's Creative Jumpstart for 2013.  Lots of uber talented artists with some great tutorials!  Using the glass bead texture gel is now one of my favorite techniques.  The Crafters Workshop Basketweave template worked well for my brick wall since I don't have a brick template.

The title on this journal page is my one word for 2013, "reason".   Following the sketch, I added some twine around the page and placed the title on top of it.  These blue letters weren't cutting it, so they needed altering.

I altered the foam Thickers with silver Liquid Pearls and distress inks.   The heart stamp, "See With The Heart"  is from 3rd Eye.  I have been wanting this stamp for evah (!) and finally decided to order it.  It arrived just in time to use on this page.  I chose a quote that I felt best described how I want to portray my one word throughout the year, typed it out, and cut it into word strips for my journaling.

My sky wouldn't be complete without a few birds and a cloud.  Of course, my cloud has a silver lining!!

Die cuts are usually a part of all of my projects.  I added some ivy and four leaf clovers around the stamped heart.  Look closely because the ivy is cut from x-ray film and the four leaf clovers are cut from a transparency.  I wanted them to be present, but in the background.

Here's another angle on the four leaf clovers and ivy tendrils behind the heart.

I also added these little resin beauties and a clover in the lower left of the page.

To finish off my journal page, I added the last word of the quote, which happens to be my one word, on top of a chipboard heart...as in, "follow your heart".  A key, ivy and another resin flower complete the page.

And here it is...my finished journal page!  I am so delighted with how it turned out.  Not bad for my first "real" mixed media attempt.  This will be the opening page of my Project 12 journal in the January spot.  Each page to follow for the remainder of the year, will also have a quote using my one word, "reason".

Supplies
3rd Eye "See With The Heart" Stamp
Advantus/Tim Holtz Tissue Tape
American Craft Thickers
Close To My Heart Heirloom Assortment Resin Flowers 
Close To My Heart, You Are Stamp Set
Liquitex Glass Bead Texture Gel
Prima Wood Button
Ribbon Girl Twine
Strathmore 140lb. Watercolor Paper 
Studio 112 Chipboard Birds

Thanks for stopping by my blog and checking out my Project 12, mixed media journal page!
Vicki


Linked products are available in the CropStop Store.  Use my special CropStop Discount Code, CTC-VR, on checkout for 10% off your total purchase with no minimum required.  Easy cause' the code never changes.



3 comments:

joybear said...

Turned out awesome!

Miae said...

Absolutely gorgeous with all it's texture and details!!

Lucy Chesna said...

This is just beautiful. You have come to the dark side of mixed media..lol

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails